My attempt to learn to fly

My attempt to learn to fly
My 35th Birthday present to myself. Freefall skydiving

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

When You Wish Upon A Star

Cinderella's Castle
When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are, anything your heart desires will come to you” Words & Music by Ned Washington & Vincent Rose

This is my life’s core belief.  If I wish (pray, envision, request of the universe, or ask for) up on a Star (Point in my life or focus of thought or thing) then anything (absolutely anything! I truly want) will come to me.
 
 I was 5 years old and it was the spring of 1967. One of my earliest vivid memories is my grandfather holding my hand as we waited in line to ride the "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride at Disneyland.  He bent down and whispered in my ear “Did you know that this is my first time on this ride and I am so blessed that you chose me to share it with you?”  I did not know what to expect about the ride but at that moment, the scary skull and crossbones and skeletons I had seen or hear of seemed a bit frightening, however, I would have overcome any fear in order to not disappoint him.   I then clearly remember looking at our hands.  Mine so small in his large warm hands and thinking, no promising myself, that when my hand was as big as his I would chose someone special to go on this ride with again. 

I felt honored and oh so loved at that moment. This was also my first Disney experience which has become my greatest sources of joy other than my child in my adult life.  I have a few later memories of early mornings in Las Vegas, Nevada, where my Mother or grandfather would wake us in the early dark hours of the morning, picking me up or waking me and my two sisters and brother, putting us in the car with pillows and blankets for us to arrive at Disneyland in California unannounced for when it opened in the morning.   I am not sure who exactly these trips were for because I remember my Grandparents especially my Grampa having as much fun as I did every time he went with us.  We had gone on many rides but there were a few that were always consistent every time we would go.  The first ride was always the “Pirates of the Caribbean” and follows not to far behind was “It’s a Small World” and always after lunch we would visit the Carousel of Progress (This was not there until my second visit I believe)

Two years ago, my Grandfather passed away.  My heart is still so full of the joy he created in my heart and life with on that morning when I was 5 that I cannot visit Disneyland or Disney World without hearing his voice and felling the joy all over again as though I were still that small child.  Before my Grandfather passed, he and I had gone to breakfast and he sat across from me and told me that when he died he did not want his money to all go to Visa or MasterCard.  He always said he paid them their share of his money.  He said he would love it if the family would use their inheritance on what he loved most his family.

On September 18th 2009, me and my son and my best friend and husband,  my Mom and Dad, Sisters and their husbands, One sisters children, Cousin from Australia and her two girls and my Aunt and Uncle also from Australia took an extended Disney Vacation together.  Several months prior, As soon as I received my inheritance check, I informed my family of my intent to celebrate my Grandfathers and my memories by taking a Disney vacation, which would include 3 nights at the Polynesian Resort in Florida, followed by a 7 night Double Castaway Cay dip cruise on the DISNEY MAGIC then to be finished up with 2 nights at the Animal Kingdom Lodge.  When I told them of my talk with my Grandfather and his wishes, several family members decided to join me for this very special vacation. 

Magical was the only way to express this vacation.  The first order of Magic was to get my cousin and her two girls and my Aunt and Uncle over to join us.  Disney assisted and on the night we arrived at the Polynesian, My Aunt, Uncle, cousin and the girls from Australia were all standing near the Check-in desk.  My Dad who had not seen his family from Australia in over 15 years and this was my magical surprise to him.  My Dad who was reluctant to go on this trip (My dad was remembered as saying “I do not want to spend 14 days eating Hot Dogs and listening to screaming kids”) now has informed me after 5 other cruise line cruises has declared no more unless it is Disney.

I have taken my son of age 5 a few times to Disney World now and although he is too young to remember most events or sights.  There are a few he does remember.  He knows what the Dumbo Ride looks like, He LOVES MICKEY MOUSE! (My sons name is Mick)He calls Cinderella’s Castle , Disney World.  When he is watching a movie and they show the Castle, he yells “Mommy, Disney World come and see.  It is Disney World.”  Because of my grandfather my heart leaps with joy at hearing those words.  I try to make our visits magical and Disney is always up for improving on the perfect vacation plans.  Special upgrades and gifts and magical service all are a part of the reason we keep going back.  In fact we have 2 Disney Cruises planned for 2012.  And I am wishing upon a star for a family vacation on Disney Cruise lines in 2013. 

A special thanks to my Grampa.  You were my very dear friend, my example of who and what I want to be.  My roots begin with you and are strong enough to support my son.  I will promise you I will always put family first and with you in my heart my family will always have a piece of the Joy you blessed me with.

  

1 comment: